The annual Story of the Year Award, generously supported by Drakes Pride, recognises the outstanding achievement of bowls clubs and members across the county and promotes the hard work and dedication that goes into running a successful club.
In 2020 we saw many clubs respond to the challenges of Covid-19 by continually adapting their guidance to ensure a safe environment that encouraged members to get back onto the green.
Additionally, we saw the importance of looking after each other off the green come to the fore, with virtual catch-ups and social events such as quizzes and coffee mornings demonstrated by many clubs.
Has your club got a special story to tell, or did one of your members go ‘above and beyond’ in 2020? If so, then we want to hear from you.
All affiliated members, clubs and county associations are welcome to nominate anyone, or anything, which they feel has been of particularly great benefit to our sport in the last 12 months – with a host of great prizes for the winners including sets of bowls from Drakes Pride.
Further examples of nomination might include:
- A club member who has installed a fresh, professional feel to the club website, or is actively using social media to engage, educate and inform members during the initial lockdown;
- Someone who has been responsible for submitting funding applications to ensure the future of the club is in safe hands;
- A group of members who have followed the necessary guidelines to ensure a safe return to the green last summer;
- A member who has gone to special lengths to help their fellow bowlers, assisting those who are perhaps alone and unable to collect shopping or a prescription;
- A successful ‘Let’s Roll!’ campaign, introducing new people to try our sport for the first time and encouraging a rise in participation.
Jon Cockcroft, Chief Executive of Bowls England, said: “When reflecting on 2020, it’s almost impossible to look beyond Covid-19 and its impact on our sport, however I am proud of the amazing efforts to support fellow bowlers in these difficult times. Many of our members have contributed to our sport by either getting back onto the green in a safe manner, or providing support away from the green.”
To submit a nomination, simply complete the form here – the closing date for entries is Monday 15th March.
We would like to thank Drakes Pride for their continued support.